Vice President Engineering (VP, all genders)
Job Description: We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated VP Engineering to spearhead the development of our scaled-up system. You will be a critical early member of our team. This role requires stem cell-like capabilities that encompass doing anything needed—from project development to pre-engineering, engineering, construction, commissioning—with a singular focus on achieving our development and scale-up milestones. We expect you to learn fast and grow with the company as we expand the team, activities, and facilities. The ability to self-organize, critically prioritize, and being proactive and team-oriented are key attributes.
Who are we?
phelas is developing the next generation of Liquid Air Energy Storage (LAES); a newly patented containerized, modularized system balancing efficiency, cost, and customers & market needs. Our approach is a unique, cost-effective thermo-mechanical system with a bright future. We are rigorous problem solvers, believe that ideas can come from anyone at any level, and are motivated to improve the well-being of our planet. The best and brightest minds should work on the hardest problems. Come join us to make 100% renewable electricity a “no-brainer” everywhere on this planet!
What will you do?
- Lead process modeling & simulation, and prepare/refine process design in line with market requirements.
- Evaluate and implement process improvements in cooperation with technology, market, and operation teams.
- Develop and track the project schedule in cooperation with managers, ensuring that the system design and construction phases are completed on time and within budget.
- Oversee project management, system construction, control system implementation, and work process development.
- Develop system-wide understanding of and perspective on phelas’ LAES.
- Coordinate stakeholder management activities internally and externally, including communication with EPC contractors, equipment vendors, and other partners.
- Identify project threats and opportunities through risk management.
- Lead safety studies (HAZOP, RIEs, etc.) and implement Safety, Health and Environment requirements.
- Coordinate a team of multidisciplinary engineers, providing guidance and fostering a culture of innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations, as well as industry best practices, throughout the system’s design and construction phases.
Who are you?
- Bachelor degrees in Chemical (Process) Engineering.
- Extended experience in the design, engineering, and construction of industrial plants in the field of Industrial Gases, Oil & Gas, or Petrochemical Industry.
- Proven expertise in using process modeling and simulation tools, like Aspen HYSYS/Plus, both for steady-state and dynamics modeling and simulation, and performing sensitivity analysis and optimization.
- Demonstrated experience leading complex engineering projects, from conceptual design to commissioning and operation phases, in industrial settings.
- Deep understanding of thermodynamics fundamentals & processes.
- Proficiency in designing block flow diagrams, developing P&IDs, and preparing engineering documents.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with ambiguity.
- Fluent English language skills are essential
Nice-to-haves & Big pluses
- Master’s degree or PhD in Chemical (Process) Engineering
- Understanding of and experience in cryogenic processes thermodynamics and principles.
- Strong knowledge of industry standards, codes, and regulations, as well as experience working with regulatory authorities.
- Experience with EPC selection and management.
- Strong background in safety protocols and process HAZOP
- Focus and interest on sustainability and environmental performance in the engineering approach.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong motivation to help build and shape your organization, structures and processes
- German language skills is a plus.
If you are interested in this position but your previous experience does not perfectly match every point in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway!
What we offer:
- phelas is a place to grow ideas and strive as a team. We can confidently say, best ideas win!
- Currently 10 people with 7 nationalities, this is a place to shape our own work culture and serve global markets.
- Full-time employees participate in value increase of the company (employee stock programme)
- Having started at TUM (Technical University of Munich), we are connected well in the ecosystem and are surrounded with brightest minds.
- Speaking of Munich, we are based in a top10 worth-to-live-in cities in Europe.
- Flexible work hours. At phelas, we care about results and achieving our goals, not about being present 9-5.
- Hybrid workplace / home-office: As much as we enjoy on-site collaboration and working on hardware, we also know that diving deep into tasks is easier when undistracted.
- Transparent communication: This is the foundation of phelas’ positive work-environment. We share highs and lows and ensure effective flow of information.
Who are you?
Contact and tell us!
phelas is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees and welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of roots, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, neurodivergency, national origin, age, disability, or any other protected characteristic.