COMPANDER Engineer (compressor & expander) (all genders)
Job Description: We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated COMPANDER (COMPressor and exPANDER) Engineer to lead the development of all the air compression and expansion requirements of our scaled-up system. You will work in close interaction with CTO, VP Engineering and other engineers from interfacing disciplines—with focus on achieving our development and scale-up milestones—to design and develop compression stages, electrical power generation using turbines, and thermal management systems using cryogenic expanders. We expect you to learn fast and grow with the company as we expand the team, activities, and facilities. The ability to self-organize, critically prioritize, and being proactive and team-oriented are key attributes.
Who are we?
phelas is developing the next generation of Liquid Air Energy Storage (LAES); a newly patented containerized, modularized system balancing efficiency, cost, and customers & market needs. Our approach is a unique, cost-effective thermo-mechanical system with a bright future. We are rigorous problem solvers, believe that ideas can come from anyone at any level, and are motivated to improve the well-being of our planet. The best and brightest minds should work on the hardest problems. Come join us to make 100% renewable electricity a “no-brainer” everywhere on this planet!
What will you do?
- Take responsibility and lead for all the aspects related to compression & expansion processes of phelas system from subsystem design and development, to detail engineering, analysis, component selection, and realization all the way to implementation into the full system.
- Development of design for the the air compression & expansion stages considering the limitations imposed by the process, energy market requirements, cost optimization, etc.
- Design the cryogenic air expansion subsystems and select the components considering the limitations imposed by the process, availability of components, cost optimization, etc. together with external engineering service partners
- Ensure that detailed thermo-mechanical analysis is performed on all the turbomachinery components/systems.
- Prepare engineering specifications, data sheets, and inspection and testing plans for required equipment.
- Review suppliers’ proposals and develop technical evaluations, and make sure that selected designs meet the required standards for life and reliability targets.
- Work closely together with engineers from interfacing disciplines to develop and establish efficient designs, and to ensure a timely delivery of the integrated energy storage system.
- Coordinate and supervise testing and pre-shipment inspection of critical equipment in the suppliers manufacturing facilities.
- Develop QA/QC standards and life cycle costs for rotating equipment.
- Participate in the system operability reviews and hazard reviews as applicable to the rotating equipment.
- Provide support for troubleshooting of rotating equipment at various facility sites.
- Coordinate and communicate the specifications internally and externally, including communication with EPC contractors, equipment vendors, and other partners.
Who are you?
- Bachelor degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or similar fields.
- Hands-on experience on machinery such as centrifugal/reciprocating/screw/scroll compressors, blowers, steam/gas turbines and expanders, pumps, silencers, etc. in Industrial Gases, Oil & Gas, or Petrochemical Industry.
- In-depth understanding of working principles, control mechanisms, limitations, etc. of turbo & rotating machinery for gas and two-phase fluids compression and expansion.
- Strong understanding of thermodynamics, compressible and incompressible flow, turbo-machinery mechanics & materials.
- Experience in the analysis, selection, and integration of cryogenic expanders.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with ambiguity.
- Solution oriented, passion for developing and implementing solutions
- Engineering project management and best practices, including creating requirements specifications, developing cost estimates and project schedules, and driving a complex project through completion.
- Fluent English language skills are essential.
Nice-to-haves & Big pluses
- Master’s degree or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or similar fields.
- Familiarity with design and analysis of drivetrains, gearing or gearbox, brakes, and high speed, permanent magnet motors/generators
- Extended experience with commissioning, start-up and shutdown operations of turbomachinery.
- Experience in working with EPC companies and different type of vendors
- Familiarity with safety protocols and process HAZOP
- Experience in large scale engineering project management, and ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong motivation to help build and shape your organization, structures and processes.
- German language skills is a plus.
If you are interested in this position but your previous experience does not perfectly match every point in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway!
What we offer:
- phelas is a place to grow ideas and strive as a team. We can confidently say, best ideas win!
- Currently 10 people with 7 nationalities, this is a place to shape our own work culture and serve global markets.
- Full-time employees participate in value increase of the company (employee stock programme)
- Having started at TUM (Technical University of Munich), we are connected well in the ecosystem and are surrounded with brightest minds.
- Speaking of Munich, we are based in a top10 worth-to-live-in cities in Europe.
- Flexible work hours. At phelas, we care about results and achieving our goals, not about being present 9-5.
- Hybrid workplace / home-office: As much as we enjoy on-site collaboration and working on hardware, we also know that diving deep into tasks is easier when undistracted.
- Transparent communication: This is the foundation of phelas’ positive work-environment. We share highs and lows and ensure effective flow of information.
Who are you?
Contact and tell us!
phelas is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees and welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of roots , colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, neurodivergency, national origin, age, disability, or any other protected characteristic.